Thursday, October 27, 2011

Occupy #Something

I had a ... chance? ... to pass through the occupysf area in front of the Fed Reserve building a couple of times a day early this month, when it was much smaller. It was reasonably tidy, pretty calm, and while I don't understand quite what they were asking for, it certainly seemed like it wasn't out of control.
I joked at the time that there were a lot of midwestern parents who would be thrilled to get the call from their kids that they "finally found an occupation".
I'm still baffled at what their desired outcome -- short- or long- term -- is, but sure, go ahead and camp out. I myself would worry a bit out the long-term cleanliness issue, and I have to imagine that there will be some sort of coherent idea or request that will coalesce, but since we don't have enough jobs to "get everyone back to work", this will have to do.
It is eerily reminiscent of the old adage "Something must be done. This is something. Therefore, it must be done."

No comments: